If you were to make a list of all the personal data you have on your phone or tablet, how long would your list be? It might include your credit cards, contacts, photos, emails, passwords, favorite apps, and a whole lot more. With all this information stored on one little gadget, you need a solid plan to keep it safe. Since June is National Safety Month, we thought we’d help you out. Here’s our top five tips to keep your data safe and your sanity in check.
1. Sing Your Password In Your Head. Your password is your first line of defense if your device gets lost or stolen, so it needs to be hard for others to guess, but easy for you to remember. Try using the first letter of each word in the lines of a favorite song. For example, “1999” by Prince would be ‘PLI1999’. Sing it in your head as you type it in. Or if you’re alone, go ahead and belt it out.
2. Trust your instincts…and an anti-malware program. Hackers are getting smarter every day, but you are too. For example, if an email doesn’t sound legit, it probably isn’t. Trust your gut and delete it. That said, a good anti-malware feature will work around the clock to help fight off the bad guys. Download a good anti-malware app (or one that has anti-malware as a feature) to help keep hackers at bay.
3. Back up! Back up! Back up! If you or someone you love has ever lost their data, you know what that looks like, and it isn’t pretty. Let’s keep tears out of this equation. Get ahead of the situation by setting a regular schedule for backing up your data. You can use your operating system for this, or download a security app that comes with data backup features. Some apps even come with extra GB to store your precious data.
4. Have a plan to locate your device. Can’t find your phone or tablet? Panic sets in within moments. Your operating system might have a tool to help you out, but you could also consider an app or feature that sounds an alarm and helps you retrieve your device from under the couch cushions.
5. When all else fails…lock & wipe. Sometimes your device is just…gone. Protect your data from falling into the wrong hands with an app that allows you to use your computer to quickly lock and wipe your missing device. Thankfully, you’ve backed up all your data anyhow…right? (See Tip #3).
These 5 tips will put you on the right track to keep your data secure. If you’re looking for a good app, consider downloading Pocket Geek® by Assurant® offered by U.S. Cellular®. As a Device Protection+ customer, you get access to enhanced features in the Pocket Geek app that will help back up your data, keep hackers at bay, and help you locate, alert, lock and wipe your device should it be lost or stolen. If you’re already a Device Protection+ customer and haven’t registered for the Pocket Geek app, you can download it now or learn more. If you don’t have Device Protection+, you’re in luck. We’re in open enrollment from June 1 through June 30, so now is a great time to sign up. Simply dial 611 from your device or go to your local U.S. Cellular store to enroll!
Happy National Safety Month from U.S. Cellular®!
View Other Articles: